Riding Through St. Lu




All terrain vehicles supply another cool way to see St. Lucia. Rolling along the Honeymoon Beach area of Vieux Fort, on the island’s southern tip, the picturesque countryside and small fishing villages serve as a vivid backdrop. St. Lucia's landscape is extremely hilly and rocky so navigating an ATV can be a little jarring initially. I'd never rode an ATV and was slightly intimidated by the various gears. After bumping over rocks, potholes and hills along the rugged Atlantic coastline for about 30 minutes, you learn how to swerve around all of the obstructions.

The heat from the ATV's engine can also burn your shins. Mine started tingling after about 15 minutes. Guides provide makeshift shin guards that do the trick with pieces of foam and an elastic band to hold them in place. Lead by the baby-faced and charming Bash, we glide past small houses perched on hilltops, bamboo and cinnamon trees and cows and goats freely roaming. The ATVs roll through coconut and banana plantations before Bash stops to guide the way through secluded coves. Climbing the coves grants a spectacular vista of the Atlantic and the twin-peaked Pitons mountains, which are St. Lucia's defining feature. Amid palm trees swaying and hibiscus scenting the balmy air, we stop in the quaint town of Virgie for a snack. Fresh star fruit, mango, sugarcane and wax apple are laid out on a table for sampling. I ended the tour with mud-splattered ankles and a sense of accomplishment.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! You are one sporty chick!

Excuse me, you are a sporty fly girl!!

How long are you in St. Lucia or is this explained in an earlier blog? Just direct me. And enjoy!!
Fly Girl said…
Hi Lynne, I'm not in St. Lucia, Im just pretending.

Ebony, It's a gorgeous island and I've seen quite a lot but I think it's one of the most beautiful.
St Lucia, so close to my home, Cuba. Lovely pictures. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.
Jean-Luc Picard said…
Super pictures, Fly Girl. The scenery is beautiful.
Fly Girl said…
Thanks Cuban, not close anough for me. I want to go before the political change.

Jean-Luc, thanks for visiting, I'll drop by your site soon.
Gennaro said…
What a beautiful spot. That also looks like a lot of fun riding around on a quad right on the beach area.
Fly Girl said…
Gennaro, it's unbeliveably gorgeous! I'll be heading back to St. Lucia in May.
Anonymous said…
Love the pictures. The second is my fave because eventhough you're ATV is no where near you, you've still chosen to wear the helmet. That's because you're so fly, huh? That cracks me up. The island looks absolutely gorgeous.
Fly Girl said…
Lol! It takes a lot to get a hemet on all this hair so I kept in on the entire 2 hours!
Lola said…
Looks like mad fun!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons