Taste Trippin'


Although most of my trips are scheduled, sometimes I like to fly off with spur- of -the minute jaunts. This weekend, I dashed off to Jamaica, Cuba and Peru with a quick detour to Spain. Instead of feeling strangled with jet lag, I feel full, very full. That's because my trips involved a visit to my favorite Nuevo Latino/Caribbean eatery, Cuatro. I started out with a visit to Spain, sipping on a white wine sangria sprinkled with berries. I'm a lightweight drinker and it almost knocked me out so I traveled to Peru, for a divine ceviche with hearts of palm, avocado and whitefish. For my main excursion, I tripped over to Jamaica and Brazil for jerk chicken drenched in tamarind sauce and spicy morros y christanos accented with plantanos. Meanwhile, my traveling companions ventured into Brazil for my favorite moqueca, which I was too stuffed to sample. It was a satisfying journey that almost completely transported me, except for the good old Chicago house music that blasted a reminder that I was still at home.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's a great idea for having a travel experience right at home. I find myself making a few dishes of places I've visited in the weeks after the return home.
Anonymous said…
Omg I wish I could travel as much as you do, the food looks so yummy.
Anonymous said…
The food looks really tasty... and what a great round the world trip in just one restaurant
Anonymous said…
Gennaro, I think real travel is experienced with all the senses, at any time!

Ebony, you can do lots of traveling with all the African, Caribbean and Chinese restaurants in Toronto!

Catherine, it was quite a ride!
Anonymous said…
That's what I'm talking about!
Loved this post. Sampling the world right at home.

Now I'm hungry
Anonymous said…
Lola, I'm sure you have lots of ligonberry sauce and Swedish pancakes to sample at home!
Anonymous said…
Looks so delicious. You are quite the chef.
Anonymous said…
Stephen, I don't know about being a chef, but I'm quite the eater!
Anonymous said…
This sounds like just the type of place I'd love!
I've yet to have the nerve to try cerviche, then again, I've never seen it on a menu around here. How was it?
Anonymous said…
Dominique, I'm allergic to shellfish and I used to avoid it too. Then I tried a wonderful red snapper ceviche in the Dominican Republic and loved it! The Cuatro veggie ceviche still haunts me, it was fabulous!
Anonymous said…
The food looks just fabulous. You are not making this diet I'm on any easier. Thanks!!
Food is the best way to to (armchair) travel through many lands...
Eileen said…
I'll take your restaurant recc's anytime. You've got great taste! I'll stick to the fish and veggie dishes and trust your judgement on the rest. What a feast!
Fly Girl said…
I'm glad you trust my judgement! Thanks for dropping by!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons