El Otro Lado :The Other Side of Cozumel



If your image of Cozumel involves cruise ships, hordes of tequila-drenched tourists and pushy t-shirt vendors, you're not alone. That was exactly my experience the last time I was in Cozumel but that was because I had never reached el otro lado. The other side is the undeveloped, east side of Cozumel. It's covered with a 20 mile stretch of coastline with huge waves, pale-sand beaches and exposed coral shelves.



Palm trees wave and pearly sand beckons you to sink your feet in. Blow holes push out shooting cascades of glistening water. Every weekend, locals go out on boats and call to dolphins by tapping the side of the boats. The dolphins appear and swim playfully along.



A cross guards Punta Morena and it seems to spread a tranquil vibe across the entire area. You can go hours without seeing anybody except a few surfers and divers. Cruise ship patrons rarely make it to this side of Cozumel because of the the time involved and lack of tourist amenities like resorts, WiFi or a Senor Frog's. Needless, to say, I didn't miss any of that.



You can rent a cute beach cabana with private bath on the beach. It just provides sleep and bath basics, which is enough for most surfers and divers.



Fresh lobster pizza and shrimp fajitas are served at Punta Morena restaurant while Spanish techno music floats in the background. It's a peaceful aura that charms you into relaxation. I sat on the beach and watched the crashing currents for eons, happy to be on the other side.

Comments

Jean-Luc Picard said…
That looks like the REAL Cozumel!
Wendy said…
The beach to me is all about a peaceful atmosphere. This looks lovely.
Those beach cabanas are cute.
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, you have no idea.

Wenday, that's what a beach means to me as well, serenity.
kristine said…
yeah, that was my image actually! I stand corrected. Might need some more tips at some point - looks great!
Fly Girl said…
Kristine, sometime's a place's image isn't totally accurate. It usually involves deeper exploration.
I'm glad to know that Cozumel has retained some of it's native self. I, too, had an entirely different impression of the island.
Fly Girl said…
Heather, I think most people do. I hope my experience inspires vistors to look for the less touristy side of Cozumel.
Catherine said…
Isn't there always an "otro lado" to all well known tourist haunts...so glad you found it in Mexico's Cozumel... the otro lado of anywhere is always my preference and this looks a great one to visit...thanks
ps thought of you recently in Arlington Cemetery where there is a sign which reads "to the Fly Girls"!!
Unknown said…
Ah, those beach cabanas are so cute, so colorful! I want to go now.
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, I'm glad you like el otro lado as well! So nice you thought of me at Arlington but I was never that kind of fly girl, lol!

Karen, Thanks for stopping by, hope you do get to go sometime.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons