Adventures in Apple Picking



It's October and if you live in the Midwest, that usually means it's time to drag out fall gear --sweaters, boots and coats. If you happen to be a Chicago girl that likes to journey into the country once in a while, October also means apple picking time. Typically, I meander over into Michigan to pick apples with my family but when we don't feel like a full 3 hour trip, we head to nearby Indiana.



County Line Orchard in quaint Hobart, Indiana,(lots of corn fields and pick-up trucks) supplies the quintessential apple picking experience.



You start with a short tractor ride to the orchard area of your choice. Despite the popularity of Red Delicious and Granny Smith, there are dozens of apple varieties to choose from. The tart, slightly sweet Gala and Honey Crisp varieties are my favorites.



The orchard brims with apple trees studded with red, yellow and green fruit. But from a distance, it just looks like a vast field of green bushes.



Bright signs identify the apples and ripening dates. My favorite Honey Crisp was ripe in mid September so all of the apples were picked clean from the tree.



I avoid the apples covering the ground or hanging on low branches and prefer to pluck the ones closer to the top. My daughter refuses to pick her favorite Golden Delicious unless she has climbed high enough to snag the biggest prizes.



Roaming down rows of apple trees isn't the only attraction at County Line Orchard. There's fresh kettle corn, carmel apples, apple and pumpkin donuts and hot apple cider to enjoy as well as live music to accompany your grazing. This singer belted out a country-tinged version of "Unchain My Heart". At the end of the day, stuffed with apple donuts and lugging 3 pound bags of apples, I felt offically ready to usher in the fall season.

Comments

Dominique said…
Looks like a great apple orchard. I hate it when they cheese up the places too much with petting farms and carnival-type rides. I like it when apples are the star of the show :)
Anonymous said…
How fun!! I've been telling my kids we are going to go apple picking every year for the past 3 years. This is the year!!! lol!! Thanks for the reminder and it looks like you guys had a great time.
Fly Girl said…
Dominique, this orchard actually did have a petting zoo but we never even passed by it because we zeroed in on apples!

Yvonne, It is a great family activity, you have to go this year. Never knew they had orchards in California.
Jean-Luc Picard said…
That looks great fun, a real exciting day out.
I sooo love apple picking! I miss this, there is nothing like it here. We used to do this every year in Highschool with my friends and stock up enough apples for a lifetime:)
We love apple picking too! My favorites are the Jonathons.
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, it was fun, if extremely cold!

Marina, I'm trying to make everybody eat several apples a day so they won't go bad!

Heather, I like Jonathons too.
Oh, yes! I recognise this tradition, too. Over here the pickers are in full gear as well. Honey Crisp sounds delicious!

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, I would love to go apple picking in the English country side!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons