Top 5 Most Beautiful Beaches

Because it's cold, rainy and dreary in Chicago and because I live close to arctic winds and far, far, away from paradise, I've been contemplating the most beautiful beaches I've ever visited. My criterion for beauty doesn't just involve physical attractiveness. I also consider the clarity of the water, color and texture of sand and if there are distinguishing cultural indicators like music, food or dress. Using those requirements, here are my top five most beautiful beaches:



1. St. Lucia
Of course. From the warm, crystalline water to the sweep of the Pitons overlooking powdery stretches of beach, St. Lucia comes as close to Eden as I've ever seen.



2. Barbuda
You've just never experienced paradise until you've laid on a pink sand beach. Tiny Barbuda boasts a stunning combination of turquoise water and pink sands. The sand is so dazzling that I keep glass bottles of it all over my house.



3. Bahia
Rio may claim the fame and glitz but the beaches in Bahia, south of Salvador, are known to be the best in Brazil. My fave is Boipeba, where you can drink fresh coconut water and catch capoeiristas practicing.



4. Jamaica
Jamaica is covered with lovely beaches but to escape hordes of tourists, the south coast and Treasure Beach supplies the best experience. This quaint fishing village is famous for its black sands and fresh seafood grilled right on the beach.



5. St. John, USVI
St. John's natural treasures are legendary and Honeymoon Beach consistently tops lists for the world's most beautiful. Small and not accessible by car, Honeymoon Beach unfolds with pearly white sand shaded by lush sea grape trees.

Comments

Unknown said…
I recently got back from The Grand Cayman Islands and 7 mile beach is unbeleiveable. It's definitely up there with your choices.
Fly Girl said…
You know, 7-mile beach didn't impress me for some reason. I enjoyed Cayman but I thought the beaches were simply pretty, not beautiful. Thanks for taking time to drop by!
Jean-Luc Picard said…
You're a real beach aficionado, Fly Girl. Some good choices, although I haven't had the pleasure of seeing them myself.
now i feel out of place! I haven't been to any of them:)
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, yes I am! You must try to visit one someday.

Marina, you have no reason to feel out of place! You've lived in the beauty of Costa Rica and now Guatemala.
Radical Selfie said…
*Swooooon!* I could swim in this post for hours! Boy, can I attest to the Jamaica "best beach"!!
Catherine said…
wow they all look gorgeous...there are also some stunners here in Mexico... and yes will be meeting Wendy tomorrow in managua and we will be travelling together for a week in Nicaragua - we have been friends and travelled on and off for the past 10 years...
Fly Girl said…
Mama, that's why I wrote the post! To provide warm distractions to swim in.

Catherine, I thought of some of the great Mexican beaches that I've visited while I wrote this. I don't have a fave yet. You and Wendy be sure to bring some great pix back!
Mary R said…
How wonderful to keep track of all the lovely ones... I've never really been to the Caribbean ones before, but only Pacific Island ones, which are also gorgeous. My favorite beach, though is in Zanzibar in the Indian Ocean. Water like bath water...

funny we're both fantasizing about each other's climates right now. I've been missing a proper fall!
You forgot Miami Beach in Barbados. I love that beach.
I'm still giggling at the glass bottles of pink sand you keep all over your house.

Like you, a good beach for me is not just sand and water, there has to be more to it than that. Loved your selections.

Now, there was no Cuban beach there and that can only be the result of never having visited the island. I hope you remedy this dilemma soon. I would be surprised if I didn't find one of my country's beaches topping your poll. Ah, jingoism, I can't help it sometimes :-)!

Many thanks for such a beautiful post, especially when it's raining cats and dogs here in London.

Greetings from London.
This post is inspiring me to go on vacation in the Caribbean (or Brazil)! Would love to go...to St. Lucia or Barbuda!
Fly Girl said…
Mary R., you can take this fall weather (don't think its too proper) and I'll take your Pacific islands immediately.

Tiffany, I don't think I made it to Miami beach but Barbados towns are what I most enjoy.

Cubano, you know that's exactly why Cuba isn't on here. I've just come back from discussing a trip with friends that just left after 5
years so I believe the situation
will indeed be remedied.

Jen, a caribbean vacation is always good anytime of the year!
I'm a beach lover too. I arrange sand and shells from my favorites in glass bowls around the house (love the bottle idea!).
 
St John has some stunning stretches of beach with snorkeling just a few steps away! I would also include a couple of quiet beaches on Hawaii and Virgin Gorda. My daughter and I loved the beaches on Anna Maria Island (Gulf Coast) a few years ago.
 
Need a beach fix...
Beaches Jamaica said…
Recently i visit Jamaica beach. It's really good place for beach lovers like me. Jamaica is the typical Caribbean mix of idyllic beaches. One of them is Negril beach, “Negril is a fun place. I loved it. Long Bay has to be one of the most entertaining beaches in the Caribbean. It stretches along the west of Negril and comes complete with golden sands and a view of the sea that is truly remarkable. This Jamaican beach is perfect for all kinds of jet setters, but family vacationers beware: several sections of the beach are allocated to the uninhibited who like to bare all.
Fly Girl said…
Heather,I have shells from my fave beaches around the house too! I've heard that Virgin Gorda is gorgeous.

Beaches, yes, Negril has a lovely beach. It's just really touristy. Thanks for dropping by.
William Wallace said…
There is nothing quite like a beautiful beach for lazing around in. When I briefly lived in Barbados I found plenty of amazing beaches, my favourites being Crane Beach, Foul Bay and Rockley Beach...
These are all the very beautiful, fantastic and an attractive destinations which are par at excellence in its beauty & serenity for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons