Harbour Island Hallmarks




Harbour Island brims with charm on every inch of the three and half mile paradise. Even the roads are quaint because you won't find many cars instead, golf carts represent the  most popular Harbour Island transportation choice. You can rent tiny two seaters or roomy four seaters like the one I'm riding above, to zip around to see the island highlights.





Along the narrow streets you'll see scores of golf carts lining the curbs.


Sometimes, so many of the little carts cram the roads that that they appear to outnumber Harbour Island's population of 2,000 and actually take on human characteristics. To me, the carts above look like a couple in a face off.


The golf carts offer the perfect way to absorb the island's personality and see hallmark's up close. This might look like a cute cottage but it's actually one of Harbour Islands's most popular businesses, Arthur's Bakery.  People crowd the shop to score golden, buttery, coconut bread every morning. They had just sold their last loaf when I arrived at 10AM.


This doesn't look like the American chain's logo because its Harbour Island's own take on a grocery store, complete with fresh conch and sapodillas (close to a custard apple.) . I couldn't figure out what a violin-playing pig has to do with groceries but glimpsing the sign from my golf cart made me laugh.


The vibrant colors of this boutique also called for a golf cart stop. The store is filled with so many clothes, books and trinkets that it did inspire me to dilly dally for a lot longer than I expected.

Comments

Looks like a great place.
Loved the post and the way your description is so vivid. And that face-off looks real enough to me! :-)

Many thanks.

Greetings from London.
Anonymous said…
Loved the pictures, especially.
Fly Girl said…
Tiffany, it was!

Cubano, thanks!

Zeba, thanks for dropping by!
Mocha Dad said…
I've been looking for a nice vacation spot. Harbour Island seems like a nice place.
Fly Girl said…
Mocha Dad, I promise that Harbour Island will meet any vacation expectations you have. Thanks for dropping by.
Jean-Luc Picard said…
That's the place to be at this cold time. I love the carts to get around the island by.
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, As I watch the snow por down, I couldn't agree with you more!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons