Taste Trippin' Part Cinq



It's January and extra dreary in Chicago. What do I do to escape the cold, the snow, the bad winter fashion? Of course, I take a short trip, this time to Paris.  Down the stairs of Cyrano's Bistro, the elegance and joie de vivre of Cafe Simone Cabaret awaits. That's right, cabaret.  French food can't really elevate my spirits alone (too many sauces) I need, glamour, bawdy innuenedos and music. That's exactly what was served up at Cafe Simone Cabaret, when nine chanteuses and one rollicking piano player melted the frigid air on a blustery January night. They gave us Cole Porter and Peggy Lee, French tunes and Eartha Kitt. We enjoyed it all  in a dimly lit little room with wine, French flavors and insouciance to feed us.





Naturally, the wine was exclusively French, mostly from the Bergerac Southwest region of France that the chef, Didier Durand, (can a name be any more Frenchified?) hails from. My best friend Sheila made the mistake of ordering Pinot Grigio.  Mon Dieu! The waiter delicately explained that the cafe doesn't carry wine from other  regions.



There was even a cherub hovering over us carrying grapes but he looked suspiciously Italian to me.



I dined on saumon grille, grilled salmon over couscous with curried lemon butter and thankfully, no sauce. The dish was well seasoned and artfully prepared. Unfortunately, I didn't get to finish it  because I forgot about my food once the cadre of cabaret singers started crooning and grooving.




However, nothing, not even great performances, makes me forget Les Desserts. Lavender-scented cake dripping in chocolate and strawberries ended my Parisian excursion. The dish was rich and sparingly sweet, just like the voices of the cabaret singers.

Comments

Sounds like a great escape from winter!
HereBeDragons said…
Cyrano has a bistro?
I love it! Sounds great.
Jean-Luc Picard said…
That looks such a fine place to escape...delightful.
Fly Girl said…
Heather, any place is better than a Chicago winter!

Dragon, the chef named it that because he's from Bergerac, France.

Jean-Luc, believe me, it was!
Lola said…
That salmon looks on point! Can't wait till winter is over :(
Fly Girl said…
Lola, oh it was! Chicago winters never end fully until May so I'm not waiting, I'm simply planning my next trip.
Oh, dear, I left a comment here the other day but it did not come up.

Anyway, as I mentioned before there seems to be a Francophone feeling running through your posts now. what with the Queen of Haitian song and now this. :-)

Marvellous post as usual. No one beats the French at wine snobbery. No one comes even close. :-)

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, you're right, I never even realized that! I typically run toward Latin themes so I think Haiti has influenced my focus.
Salmon looks great... I love french wine too.
Fly Girl said…
Tiffany, the salmon was great but I'm afraid I didn't try the wine, Italian is my preference!
Anonymous said…
All I could think about reading this was Cyrano de Bergerac and Gerard Depardieu!

The food looks delicieux!
Fly Girl said…
Gold, that's so funny! I actually thought of that too but I was remembering Steve Martin's Cyrano! Thanks for dropping by!
Mary and Sean said…
Fly Girl,
How do you find such fun places? It looks like a fantastic evening and that dessert, oh my...
All Inclusive said…
I agree! I am now officially hungry. Thanks!
Fly Girl said…
Mary, I know, the desser is always the best part!

Inclusive, I should have put my usual "don't read unless you're hungry" disclaimer. THanks for dropping by.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons