French Flavor in Harlem


If there's any city that supplies international flair on every corner, it's New York. We arrived at our Harlem brownstone starved so we walked to the local cafe on the corner. We passed  African women wrapped in vibrant Senegalese dresses,  Mexican men selling tacos from a truck and Jamaicans peddling rasta hats and jewelry, only to arrive at a French bistro.  Cafe Lucienne offers the perfect sidewalk views for bustling New York life as well as an inventive mix of French and American fare.


Okay, so gazpacho isn't so French but I love it and there's nothing better on a hot summer day. Cafe Lucienne's was bursting with fresh tomatoes and herbs.


My husband is the one who gets into French food and he wasted no time ordering the requisite escargot. I don't eat creepy crawlies no matter how they're served but he insisted that they were excellent.


He also dove into a pile of mussells, which is also something I don't go near. But they're pretty. The shells would make a great necklace.


I ordered these heaping turkey burger that I couldn't finish in one sitting. It came with hand cut fries that inspired both of us to munch non-stop.


Cafe Lucienne also features live singers on the weekends, which we listened to whenever we walked by.  While we were there, we toasted our anniversary with German beer, Perrier and cranberry juice!

Comments

Unknown said…
Aren't you guys absolutely gorgeous!! My girlfriends (2) and I visited NYC back in 2005 and 2006.

There is NO place like it. The people, the food, the night life, the history, the scenery....oooh, I miss it so much.

Keep the pics coming. It's a great reminder :)
Jean-Luc Picard said…
A wonderfully cosmopolitan place.
Fly Girl said…
Roschelle, thanks so much. NY is the place that draws people across the globe for a reason. Stay tuned for more.

Jean Luc, I think NY invented cosmopolitan.
eden said…
Oh my.. the foods look delicious.I hope I could visit NY someday. Great photos.

Have a great week.
Fly Girl said…
Eden, it really was good food. I hope you make it to NY someday too. There really is no other place like it.
maryandsean said…
Your lunch looks great. When I visit NY with my friend, we always take the bus in and stop in Harlem for local color!
Fly Girl said…
Mary, Harlem is colorful indeed, it has more energy than the other parts of Manhattan.
I stayed in Harlem when I was in New York - don't think I saw this one.
Fly Girl said…
Rachel, if you were in the center of Harlem, near 125th, you could miss it! The sidewalk cafe takes up half the block of 125th and Lennox.
The burger in the last picture has my name all over it.
Fly Girl said…
TIffany, it was the biggest turky burger I've ever eaten and it took two days for me to finnish it.
Wendy said…
I'm going to have to check this place out. Looks yummy.
Unknown said…
Wow what a monstrous burger, drooling. I love the way the scene was set with all the culture on the street and a french bistro inbetween. Sounds like a great find.
A Girl in Asia said…
Looks like you're having fun - love the shots of the street art and your Harlem restsurant adventures sound good too!
Fly Girl said…
Cate, it was really a wonderful place.

Asia, oh I had so much fun that I'm still worn out from it!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons