Expanding Experiences With The Passport Party Project


Volunteering and giving back has always been an important part of my life. I've participated in several travel blogger charity events but I don't think I've experienced so much glee to give back as I did at The Passport Party Project.  The event is a global awareness initiative that gifts 10 passports to undeserved girls in 10 cities across the U.S. Travel blogger Tracey Friley of One Brown Girl gathers travel bloggers in every city to volunteer and guide girls into the expansive world of traveling.  So it was a given that when the event landed in my city of Chicago, I was totally there.


The party kicks off in the morning and we lined a table with supplies to create personal travel vision boards.


Of course, no party is complete in my book unless there is quality sugar involved.  These cupcakes represent a range of flavors and nations.


We provided encouragement for the girls with tales of our travels, a show & tell session and lots of silly  travel photo ops like the above pic.


This is my travel vision board, with a beautiful image of the Taj Mahal and India as the focus.


Jazmin won the travel vision board contest with a panorama of images showing South America, Europe and Asia. She won a bright yellow suitcase to start her travels in style.


The girls did an impressive job of designing exciting travel vision boards that displayed their destination dreams. It was so inspiring to watch them realize that the whole world is a possibility for them. Expedia sponsors the event and each girl was supplied with a passport photo, a passport form and a check to apply for their passport. I felt that I was given so much by just being around all of  the enthusiasm and hope for travel. Traveling broadens perspectives and exposes you to so many rich experiences. I was honored to be a part of the Passport Party Project. Helping to influence girls to open up their world views is a powerful task. We ended the party with an essential element for any global event- a conga line.


Comments

Terri said…
How fun! I volunteered for the NYC party and had a great time. Those cupcakes look fabulous!
Fly Girl said…
Terri, these passport parties are always fun, whatever city they are in. Thanks for visiting.
Unknown said…
I never really know how to react to a passport party once it is over, mostly because I'm so focused on the girls and making sure they have a good time AND get pumped about travel. Seeing your recap gives me some perspective. And seeing that Conga Line photo makes me CRACK UP. Thanks for being there; I couldn't have done it without you!
Fly Girl said…
Tracey,
Thank YOU for creating such a wonderful concept and following it through. I hope to see you in PR next year!
Angela Myers said…
Hahaha, it really was a great day! I was done after that Conga line. Total Hilarity!
Fly Girl said…
Angela, so much fun, especially when you kept swiping all of the good stickers!
2girlsbikini said…
I cannot confirm or deny that I was swiping all of the good stickers. *__*
What a great idea these passport parties are. Looks like a lot of fun, too!
Fly Girl said…
Andrew, they are a lot of fun and they help girls consider a future of travel that might not have occurred to them before.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons