A Galena Getaway


I love exploring the globe and experiencing different cultures but sometimes, a different world can be discovered just a few miles outside of your home. Galena, Illinois is only a few hours drive from my home but it offers another lifestyle of laid back, small town, living. A charming spot in Northwest Illinois known for 18th century architecture and as the hometown of U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant, Galena is just plain pretty. Covered with rolling hills, green valleys and bluffs, I seem to relax as soon as I step onto the cobblestone streets.


Voted one of the ten best small towns in America by Forbes magazine, Galena was also named the second friendliest city in the U.S. by Conde Nast Traveler and I understand exactly why. It may be a cliche but small towns really do nurture caring and helpful attitudes. My favorite place to stay in Galena is Cloran Mansion Bed & Breakfast and the owners, Cheryl and Carmine, are masters of Galena friendliness. Homemade cookies and an anniversary card awaited my husband and I when we recently celebrated our wedding anniversary at Cloran Mansion. Besides the elegance of the 18th century architecture, pictured above, the grounds of the mansion are just as inviting.


This heard shaped arch that leads to the garden and gazebo, is my favorite place to sit in the sun. There's a fire pit for cool nights and loungers and chairs to while the day away.


In the back, a pond covered with lily pads and rimmed with flowers is a favorite hangout for butterflies and birds. Apple trees and the heady scent of magnolias make this my favorite place to sit in the shade.


All of the rooms and suites are named for Cheryl and Carmine's relatives, we stayed in Sara's suite, where I stuffed myself with Cheryl's homemade fudge in this cute nook.


Not that I had any business indulging in anything but water at Cloran Mansion. The breakfast part of the term bed and breakfast, is taken extremely seriously by Cheryl and Carmine. We awoke to a spread that filled two tables and kept us stuffed until the next day. Omelets cooked to order, freshly squeezed orange juice and bacon, sausages and fruit were just the starters. Cheryl perfected a new recipe of cinnamon swirl pancakes above, that made me swoon.


Strolling the scenic streets of Galena was my remedy to working off that breakfast. These are the same roads and avenues that Lincoln and Grant once walked and it looks pretty much the same as it did then. Narrow roads that used to feature horses and carriages, Victorian houses and a hilly terrain make up downtown Galena. You feel the history on every corner and most of the buildings are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.


Galena is also noted for its vineyards and Galena Cellars is an award-winning,  family-owned vineyard and winery that spans three generations. The winery produces 40 wine varieties, although I don't recommend trying to sip them all during the vineyard wine tastings.


The vineyards sprawl out over lush hills topped by dreamy blue skies.


Bottle trees featuring color-coordinated Galena Cellars bottles dot the landscape.


I especially enjoy fruity, sweet wines so I scooped up the fruit wines in peach, rhubarb and the apple wine with a label that I couldn't resist, shown above. Whenever I need a quick getaway, Galena is my go to destination. No matter how many times I visit, I always uncover another appealing aspect of this quaint river town. What is your favorite local getaway?


Comments

TexWisGirl said…
'just plain pretty', indeed! and glad you mentioned the winery as i was trying to remember why galena sounded familiar. sure is lovely!
Fly Girl said…
Tex,
I didn't know Galena was famous for wine outside of the Midwest.I thought President Grant was it's most famous export!
What a lovely place. I'd love to visit there but I'd probably give the bottle trees a miss. :)
Fly Girl said…
Maureen, the bottle trees are part of the winery experience!
First off, happy belated anniversary. Second, a question, is there anything fun for kids in Galena? I want to go and take my son but he is too young for a winery.
Exploring small towns is a really fun thing to do -- and I like the look of this one, from the way you describe it, Rosalind, and what you show in the photos. The breakfast and the wineries are enough reason alone!
Fly Girl said…
Hi Katie,
Thanks! No wine wouldn't do for Evan! Galena is very child friendly. They have hot air balloons, fudge and root beer shops, horseback riding,all sort of winter skating/sledding activities.
Andrew, I'm a city girl but there's something to be said for small town charm!
SandyCarlson said…
It sure is just plain pretty! Wow. That is a beautiful landscape. Thanks for the introduction!
Catherine said…
Happy Anniversary and what a pretty place to celebrate for sure.....and true about the doorstep - always after bouts of long haul travel I always pay attention to the doorstep - very important! Greetings from Nice!
Fly Girl said…
Sandy, you're welcome!

Catherine, it's so easy to forget about the fun travel at your doorstop but I make a point of exploring my own backyard.
I've read about Galena a few times, and it's on my Midwest bucket list. This story makes me want to visit there all the more!
Fly Girl said…
Oh Dominique, Galena is a Midwest must see. I promise you'll love it!
I fully agree with you. Sometimes the most beautiful places we can think of are just a stone's throw away! :-)

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano,
You can always find interesting and gratifying places close to where you live. Travel doesn't have to mean distant lands.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons