A Lucian Style Farmers Market


Farmers markets offer Americans an easy way to buy fresh produce, directly from the farmers. But in St. Lucia, this concept gets a Caribbean twist with this farmer floating out to our sailboat with freshly picked tropical fruit.


The sensory delight of his coral-colored canoe, laden with gold and green fruit against the deep sapphire ocean was not lost on me. I just gazed at the spectacle for awhile before I could even focus on what I would taste.


In the end, I passed up juicy starfruit and luscious mango for my all time favorite, jelly coconut.  The farmer whipped out his machete and swiftly opened my coconut, handing it to me before he floated off. I can still taste the lightly sweet coconut water, swirling around the jelly pulp at the bottom. What's your favorite fruit to try when you travel?

Comments

TexWisGirl said…
now that's service. :)
Fly Girl said…
Tex, Ha! Indeed it is.
Wow, that's what I call living it large! :-)

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, I call it living all natural!
It looks wonderful, Rosalind. I go for coconuts, too. A memorable occasion for me was drinking the juice from one in the central market in Papeete, Tahiti. The atmosphere was half of it. And then again, I like mangoes, and miss the ones from Queensland, northern Australia, that were available when I lived in Sydney. They were really sweet.
Fly Girl said…
Andrew,
Tahitian coconut! They are supposed to be the sweetest, I bet the scenery made it even better.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons