Macanese Murals


One of the fascinating things I discovered in Macau was the seamless mix of Chinese and Portuguese culture. It shows up in every aspect of daily life but I found seeing Cantonese and Portuguese languages side by side particularly interesting. The mural above instructs on recycling in Macanese style, using both Cantonese and Portuguese. However, I guess not everything translates into both languages. The funny mural below urges dog owners to clean up after their pets but there're no Portuguese words to be found!


Comments

Catherine said…
what great images - I love discovering public mural art in different countries - always fascinating!
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, thanks, I love viewing public art while traveling. I think it really shows insight into the culture.
TexWisGirl said…
cool artwork - and glad to hear cultures can blend well. we need more of that! :)
Fly Girl said…
Tex, you're right. I guess that's one of the reason's the Macanese culture is so interesting.
Indrani said…
Lovely image and interesting to know about the blend of cultures.
Fly Girl said…
Indrani, the cultural blend is my fave thing about Macau!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons